Skip to content

Harvey Weinstein will remain in a New York state jail for at least 30 more days as his lawyers challenge plans to extradite him to Los Angeles to face a string of rape and sexual assault charges .

At a New York City court hearing on Friday, prosecutors filed new documents that give the disgraced producer until May 30 to challenge the extradition to Los Angeles.

If Weinstein is extradited to California, he should stand trial for sexually assaulting five women in Beverly Hills and Los Angeles over a ten-year period.

Los Angeles prosecutors have charged Weinstein with four counts of forced rape, four counts of forced oral copulation, two counts of sexual violence and one count of forcible sexual penetration in January 2020.

A grand jury rendered an indictment against Weinstein, 69, on the same counts earlier this year, according to several sources familiar with the situation. Although these sources described the indictment as a procedural measure intended in large part to avoid a preliminary hearing and prevent possible problems with a speedy trial in Los Angeles, where the COVID-19 pandemic has created a huge backlog cases in county courts, it always brings Weinstein a step forward. closer to a trial.

The first public mention of the indictment came during Weinstein’s last extradition hearing on April 12. Lawyers for the mogul alleged there were errors in the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s extradition request, likely due to the indictment changing the ID number of the case in the county court system, which played a role in Friday’s lawsuit.

Weinstein has remained in custody at Wende Correctional Center in Alden, New York, since March 2020, after a Manhattan jury found him guilty of rape. He was sentenced to 23 years in prison. While his defense attorneys are allowed to ask Cuomo to block the extradition, the governor should not interfere.

Weinstein has been charged with sexual assault, misconduct and harassment by more than 80 women in the United States and the United Kingdom. Dozens of accusers have come forward after reports in The New York Times and The New Yorker detailed the assault allegations against the tycoon. Weinstein, who is appealing his conviction in New York, has denied any wrongdoing.

Weinstein’s attorneys said they have asked Los Angeles prosecutors to allow Weinstein to appear remotely for his arraignment and first hearings in the case, as several surgeries are scheduled in New York this year. He is “almost technically blind,” according to lawyer Norman Effman, and needs eye surgery. The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office did not respond to requests for comment on the status of the Weinstein case.

“We look forward to defending Harvey against these false accusations, but not unless he is first allowed a fair and legal extradition process that will account for his ongoing medical treatment in New York City and the fact that COVID still prevents him from having a person in person. lawsuits in Los Angeles courts for the foreseeable future, ”defense attorney Mark Werksman said in a statement Friday.

The charges against Weinstein in Los Angeles stem from charges brought by five women between 2004 and 2013. One of the women, Lauren Young, testified as a witness to “previous bad acts” against Weinstein during his trial in New York. York, claiming to have groped and masturbated. inside the Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills in 2013.

A second accuser, an Italian model who spoke to The Times anonymously several years ago, accused Weinstein of raping her inside the famous Mr. C’s hotel in Beverly Hills in 2013.

The identities of the other women are not publicly known and the indictment against Weinstein remains subject to a protection order.





Source link