Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man responsible for a shooting in Lancaster last month in which the shooter followed his injured victim and shot him as he called 911, leaving him seriously injured .
Lancaster city officials and the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors are offering a combined $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the man responsible for the shooting of Jason Castillo.
The shooting happened around 3:10 a.m. on Dec. 3, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. Castillo was in a vehicle at Challenger Way and Avenue K when the suspect shot him.
Although injured, Castillo drove to a gas station and called 911, deputies said. While lying on the ground talking with a dispatcher, the suspect approached and shot Castillo in the head at point-blank range.
The suspect was wearing a green shirt, a black baseball cap possibly bearing an “LA” logo, black shorts, white socks and black shoes, deputies said. He was driving a white four-door BMW, believed to be a 3 Series, with tinted windows and gray rims.
The BMW sustained significant damage to the driver’s side headlight and front passenger fender, deputies said.
“We strongly believe, with the evidence we have, that during the filming they did in fact crash into each other. We suspect the suspect crashed into the victim’s vehicle,” Sheriff’s Det. James Phillips told KTLA-TV Channel 5.
Castillo survived but remains in critical condition and cannot speak, according to the news station.
Anyone with information is asked to call Phillips at (661) 948-8466 or (310) 601-6064.
Those who want to make an anonymous tip can call LA Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477 or visit lacrimestoppers.org.