Skip to content

The most important news

Mr. Kitazumi worked as a freelance journalist in Myanmar

A Japanese journalist arrested in Myanmar has been charged with disseminating false information, the Japanese embassy said.

Yuki Kitazumi is the first known foreign journalist to be indicted since the coup.

He was arrested in April and has been in prison ever since.

More than 700 people have been killed and thousands arrested, including many local journalists, since the Myanmar military staged a coup in February.

Mr. Kitazumi, who worked as a freelance journalist, had reported for many major Japanese media, appearing as a rare foreign journalist from Myanmar (also known as Burma).

The 45-year-old man was arrested on April 18 when police raided his home in the country’s main city, Yangon (Rangoon). He had already been briefly detained on February 26.

The Japanese Embassy in Myanmar said he had no health problems, but added that it was urging the military to release him.

If convicted, he faces up to three years in prison, according to Japanese media.

In addition to covering the coup and the protests and assassinations that followed for Japanese newspapers and broadcasters, Mr. Kitazumi had also frequently posted articles about the situation and its impact on citizens on his social media accounts.

Last News Myanmar accuses Japanese journalist of alleged false information

Protests continue despite brutal crackdown

Mass protests have taken place across Myanmar since the military deposed the elected government and declared a one-year state of emergency.

Throughout the months of protests, authorities cracked down on protesters and also on press freedom.

About 80 local journalists are known to have been arrested for their reporting to date. According to the monitoring group of the Association for Assistance to Political Prisoners (AAPP), 50 of them are still in detention and half of them have been prosecuted.

A few foreign journalists were also arrested.

The armed forces justified their seizure of power by alleging that there had been widespread fraud in a general election late last year that returned elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi and her party to power. the National League for Democracy (NLD).

Instead, the military promised it would hold “free and fair” elections once the state of emergency is over.

Source link