Skip to content

The most important news

More than three years after 17-year-old John Albers was killed by an Overland Park policeman, the city released a report on the shooting, which did not result in criminal charges.

The teenager’s death has been investigated by a team of Johnson County officers tasked with responding to police shootings. The team’s 498-page report was released to the public on Thursday. The Star is currently reviewing the report.

Albers was shot dead on January 20, 2018 by former Overland Park policeman Clayton Jenison.

A month later and after receiving the investigative team’s findings, the Johnson County District Attorney’s Office ruled that the shooting was justified.

The shooting became a source of contention as Albers’ family and other members of the community began to advocate for transparency from the police department and the city.

The teenager’s parents have long wanted to review the contents of the report. The publication of the report was also the subject of a lawsuit filed in January by 41 Action News, or KSHB.

After the Albers family read the report on Thursday, the city released the files publicly.

Sheila Albers, John’s mother, said the relationship was “lopsided”.

“The OISIT (Officer Shooting Investigation Team) is not interested in an impartial investigation,” she said. “They are interested in eliminating the officer.”

Jenison shot John Albers as he was supporting the family’s van down the driveway. Police had been called in for a welfare check on the teenager, who was suspected of being suicidal.

In an interview four days after the shooting, Jenison said he told Albers to stop the van as it backed up from the garage, according to a video also released Thursday.

“He didn’t listen to my commands; I shot, ”Jenison told two detectives from the shooting team involved in county officers.

The van, Jenison said, passed him “quickly” before turning back. As the van headed back towards Jenison, he fired again, he recalls.

“Where I was, I thought he was going to hit me,” Jenison said.

Jenison said he fired two shots at the van. In the first round he thought he had fired two to three shots; in the second, it was five to seven strokes, he recalls.

According to the report, Jenison fired about 13 shots.

The van pulled up in a neighbor’s yard. Jenison went to perform rescue measures on Albers, but another officer told her to “come back”. Jenison was then escorted to a police vehicle.

Since her son was killed, Sheila Albers has been pushing for answers from the city.

In June 2019, she found out that Jenison had received $ 70,000 before resigning from the police department.

Last year, The Star took legal action to secure the departure deal. The deal showed that Overland Park Police had reported to the state law enforcement certification agency that Jenison’s departure was a “voluntary resignation under ordinary circumstances.”

Sheila Albers filed a complaint with the Kansas Commission on Standards and Training for Peace Officers, alleging that Overland Park Police Chief Frank Donchez committed perjury on the form submitted to the commission .

On Monday, Albers and community activists gathered outside Overland Park Town Hall to demand that Donchez be evicted.

The teenager’s shooting is also under investigation by the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

The Star examines the nearly 500-page document. This story will be updated.

Source link