Kate and William ‘can win America’s hearts back’ with US trip, royal expert says
The Prince and Princess of Wales are due to travel to the United States in 10 days, with insiders seeing the trip as an opportunity to improve the position of the monarchy in the United States, according to royal editor Roya Nikkhah.
Writing in The Sunday Times, Roya described the Oprah interview of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as “90 minutes of primetime royal annihilation” which has “tarnished” the reputation of the monarchy.
She adds that following the interview, a royal courtier said the firm “now has a problem with the United States”.
As a result, the trip for Kate and William, both 40, is seen as extremely important in royal circles, according to the royal editor, who added that it is seen as an opportunity to hand over “the house of Windsor firmly on the front foot across the pond”, and “to elevate the monarchy above entertainment news”.
The Prince and Princess of Wales (pictured during a visit to The Street, Scarborough earlier this month) are due to visit the US – with the trip seen as a chance to improve the monarchy’s standing in the States -United
According to royal editor Roya Nikkhah, society has been left with “an American problem” following Oprah’s interview with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (pictured in Manchester in September)
The 90 Minutes interview (pictured) has been described as ‘primetime royal annihilation’ by royal editor Roya Nikkhah
During the trip, the couple will undertake a number of engagements, showcasing issues such as climate change, vulnerable youth and green technologies.
The highlight of the visit will be the second Earthshot award ceremony, which will take place in Boston on December 2, before being broadcast by the BBC, Multichoice in Africa and PBS in America two days later.
A few days after Wales attended the event in Boston, the Ripple of Hope Award Gala will be held in New York on December 6, where the Sussexes will receive an award for their work on racial justice, mental health and the causes that make a positive social impact.
It’s unclear if Harry and Meghan have confirmed their attendance, or if the two couples will have a reunion while Wales are in the US.
The trip precedes two major projects set to be launched by Prince Harry, 38, and Meghan, 41. They include the couple’s Netflix documentary, which is set to air in a few weeks.
The Sussexes have reportedly tried to push it back to 2023 despite the streaming giant having paid them $100m (£88m) for the fly-on-the-wall series.
The highlight of the Wales trip will be the Earthshot Prize awards ceremony in Boston on December 2 (William and Kate pictured at last year’s Earthshot Prize awards)
The Princess and Prince of Wales (pictured in Windsor on September 10, 2022 with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex) will travel to the US later this month – but it’s unclear whether the two couples will have a reunion
There have been mixed reports in the US, with Deadline insisting the show will be delayed until the New Year, citing bosses being ‘shaken’ and ‘flashing first’ due to the season’s backlash. 5 of The Crown.
But Page Six reports that there will be no postponement and “the show will continue” in December, citing a source familiar with the project. The insider said, “As far as I know, the docuseries is continuing later this year.”
The show has made waves on both sides of the Atlantic and is expected to cause further turmoil for the Royal Family.
Following the Queen’s death, the Sussexes reportedly wanted to ‘downplay much of what they said about Charles III, Queen Consort Camilla and the Prince and Princess of Wales’ in their documentary series, according to a previous report .
Meghan Markle even appeared to walk away from Harry and their controversial upcoming Netflix documentary about a month after Her Majesty’s death. The Duchess of Sussex has suggested that her direction is now in the hands of leftist filmmaker Liz Garbus “although that means it may not be the way we would have said it”.
Harry and Meghan’s controversial documentary series The Wall is set to premiere on Netflix this year, sources have insisted. (Pictured: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex kiss athlete Lisa Johnston during the Invictus Games athletics events in the Netherlands in April)
She said in an interview with the magazine: “It’s nice to be able to entrust our story to someone – a seasoned director whose work I’ve admired for a long time – even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it.” But that’s not why we say it. We entrust our story to someone else, and that means it will go through with its purpose.
‘It’s interesting. My husband has never worked in this industry before. For me, having worked on Suits, it’s so amazing to be surrounded by so much creative energy and to see how people work together and share their own points of view. It was really fun.
Director Liz Garbus has been involved in a host of other television and film projects about oppressed women, including Girlhood, which follows two inmates – victims of horrific violence and tragedy – who serve time in a detention center for minors.
She also vetted a documentary about the life and legend of singer, pianist and civil rights activist Nina Simone as well as a film called Shouting Fire: Stories from the Edge of Free Speech.
Harry also has his memoir, named “Spare”, on the way. Royal experts claim that these two explosive projects prevented any reconciliation with King Charles or Prince William.
Harry and Meghan had worked on the series as part of their rumored $100m (£88m) deal with the streaming giant. But there’s been some back and forth when it comes out
Spare is set to be published by Penguin Random House on January 10, more than four months since Her Majesty’s death on September 8.
Penguin Random House publishers say Harry’s book is written with “raw and unflinching honesty” and is expected to contain explosive new material dealing with Harry’s childhood and his breakup with “The Firm” after meeting Meghan.
Harry would not hesitate to bring up sensitive topics, such as his family’s decision to encourage him and his brother to walk behind their mother Diana’s coffin as thousands of members of the public watched.
The Daily Mail has been told the Duke – who personally recorded the audiobook version – did not tell his family about the title in advance and will be seen as both ‘controversial’ and ‘provocative’ in royal circles.
“This headline is loaded and it doesn’t bode well,” a source said.
The prince’s book (left), titled Spare, is due to be published by Penguin Random House on January 10 – which will make it more than four months since Her Majesty’s death on September 8.
He could also reveal which member of the monarchy he thinks made a racist comment about his unborn son Archie’s potential skin color, or shed light on his strained relationship with his father and his troubled times with William.
It has also been claimed that Prince Harry had to submit his book more than once before it was accepted by publishers, sparking fears he was ‘sexed’ with revelations about the Royal Family.
Members of the royal family are said to be preparing for the release of the 416-page headline. Biographer Tom Bower has warned that receiving the memoirs will be a watershed moment for the Sussexes.
‘In other words, it won’t make for a relaxing family Christmas,’ a source told the Mail on Sunday.
Lawyers for the Royal Family are said to be on hold for Prince Harr’s memoir, fearing they are “critical of everyone and everything”.