Jay Leno discharged from hospital after suffering severe burns in car fire | Jay Leno
Jay Leno has been released from hospital and ‘can’t wait to spend Thanksgiving with his family’ after being treated for severe burns sustained in a recent gasoline fire accident.
The former host of The Tonight Show was said to be grateful for the care he received following the incident and “very grateful for all the well wishes”.
The incident allegedly took place while Leno was working under a car in Burbank, California last week.
The comedian suffered “deep second-degree” and possibly third-degree burns. But Dr Peter Grossman said he was “satisfied with Jay’s progress” and “optimistic” Leno’s full recovery.
“Jay would like to let everyone know how grateful he is for the care he received and is very grateful for all the well wishes,” read a statement from the Grossman Burn Center, shared with US media.
“He is looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with his family and friends and wishes everyone a wonderful holiday.”
The center also shared a photo of Leno with several hospital staff, which showed visible burn scars on his face, neck and hand.
He had previously said he was “fine” but was recovering from the incident.
“I was badly burned by a petrol fire,” he said in a statement shared with the PA news agency.
“I agree. I just need a week or two to get back on my feet.
The American presenter and comedian took over NBC’s Tonight Show when longtime host Johnny Carson retired in 1992, and returned for another stint from 2010 to 2014, before handing over the reins to the current host. Jimmy Fallon.
Leno, 72, turned his love of cars into a CNBC series, Jay Leno’s Garage, and is now hosting a revival of the game show You Bet Your Life.