Categories: USA

Italian Justice Ministry Moves to Release Iranian Man Sought by the U.S.

Italy’s justice minister has requested the revocation of the arrest of an Iranian man sought by the United States for allegedly providing material used in an attack that killed three American soldiers, the Italian government announced on Sunday.

Mohammad Abedini Najafabadi, 38, was arrested last month in Milan and the U.S. Justice Department had asked for his extradition. He was charged with illegally providing material used in a drone attack by an Iranian-backed militia on an American military base in Jordan.

On Sunday evening, IRNA, Iran’s state news agency, reported that Mr. Abedini had reached Tehran. Despite repeated requests for confirmation, Italy has not yet announced that it freed the man or that he left the country.

The Italian ministry’s request, which was filed to a court, came only days after Iran freed an Italian reporter, Cecilia Sala, who had been arrested in Iran three days after Mr. Abedini was detained. She was arrested on accusations of violating the laws of the Islamic Republic, though the Iranian government never provided details.

While the Italian government never confirmed any connection between the two cases, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said last week that Ms. Sala’s release was the result of a diplomatic “triangulation” with the United States and Iran.

On Sunday, the Italian Justice Ministry said it had not had the grounds to extradite Mr. Abedini. A U.S. Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.

IRNA, citing the judiciary’s media center, reported on Sunday that Mr. Abedini’s arrest had been a misunderstanding that was resolved with diplomacy between Iran and Italy and cooperation between Iran’s and Italy’s intelligence services.

In Sunday’s government statement, Italy’s Justice Ministry said that according to the extradition treaty between Italy and the United States, a person could be extradited only for crimes that are punished in both countries. Mr. Abedini’s case, they said, did not fit the criteria.

One of the crimes that he is accused of — conspiring to export sophisticated electronic components in violation of U.S. export control and sanctions laws — is not punished in Italy, the ministry said.

Italy’s Justice Ministry also said that it had not received evidence to justify another accusation leveled against Mr. Abedini: that he provided material support to a foreign terrorist organization. The Justice Ministry said that it knew only that Mr. Abedini produced and traded technologies with Iran that had potential, but not exclusive, military use.

Leily Nikounazar contributed reporting from Brussels, and Devlin Barrett from Washington.

s92oQeSxPt

Recent Posts

“ Masters of the Universe ” by Travis Knight obtains Cinemacon Reveal

Masters of the universe I have a major first overview of Cinemacon. Amazon MGM Studios…

2 minutes ago

Update 2025 NBA Playoff Pichin

Houston's Rockets are officially in the playoffs. The team won a seeded among the first…

3 minutes ago

Cardinal Krajewski: 20 years ago, the world was motionless, kneeling and cried

Two decades after the death of Pope John Paul II, Cardinal Konrad Krajewski, who has…

4 minutes ago

While my prosperous military husband, I collapse while my dreams disappeared

When I became a military spouse after 11 years of marriage, I thought that the…

6 minutes ago

10 fashionable choices from $ 10

Our writers and publishers independently determine what we cover and recommend. When you buy via…

7 minutes ago

Femme Fencer refuses to compete with the trans opponent, takes the knee before the expulsion; Navratilova Slams USA Fencing – Firstpost

A female chop was expelled from a competition after refusing to face a transgender opponent,…

9 minutes ago