The discussions on the truce and the hostage are underway to end the fighting between Hamas and Israel which broke out after the militant group carried out a cross -border raid in October 2023 which killed 1,200 Israelis – and sparked the invasion of Israel of Gaza, which would have killed more than 60,000 Palestinians and would have left the Enclave concerned about the streets.
Shortly before the inauguration of US President Donald Trump, the two parties agreed with a cease-fire with a first phase of six weeks. But while Hamas pushes to start talks on the second phase of the truce, Israel wants to extend the first phase of the agreement to continue the exchange of hostages, without any commitment to end the war.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s spokesperson said last week that Israel was ready to increase the pressure and did not exclude cutting all electricity in Gaza if Hamas did not respond to his requests in talks to release the hostages.
The power cut comes after Israel and Hamas reported on Saturday that they were preparing for the next phase of cease-fire negotiations. Hamas said there were “positive indicators” for the start of the cease-fire talks, but did not develop.
Israel said he was preparing for talks in Qatar on Monday. “Israel has accepted the invitation of mediators supported by the United States and will send a delegation to Doha on Monday in order to advance negotiations,” said Netanyahu’s office.