Skip to content
“I didn’t think I was going to make it”

Last night, a candle factory collapsed with dozens of workers inside after severe tornadoes ravaged the South and Midwest.

Kyanna Parsons-Perez, who made it out of the factory safely, explained what it was like to be inside the building in Mayfield, Ky. When the roof gave way.

“It was extremely scary,” she said on Weekend TODAY. “It all happened so fast. They put us in the area you are going to in case there was a thunderstorm, and we were all there. feel the wind. Then my ears started to crackle, you know, like they would like you’re on a plane. “

“And then you liked a little rock, like, that way and that way,” she said while demonstrating how hard it was to stay still. “And then, boom, it all fell on us. All you heard was screaming.”

Parsons-Perez noted that there were a lot of Hispanics working at the factory so she could hear people “praying in Spanish and just screaming.” After calling 911, Parsons-Perez began broadcasting live on Facebook in an attempt to try and get more help at the scene.

“I went live because I was trying to stay calm, keep everyone calm and try to help us as much as possible,” Parsons-Perez said. “But it was absolutely the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced in my life.”

Parsons-Perez, whose birthday is today, and the rest of the workers were trapped for two hours as they waited for help to arrive. With every passing minute, Parsons-Perez felt like she wouldn’t make it out alive, especially when something fell on her after the factory roof collapsed.

“I didn’t think I was going to make it at all. I was so scared,” she said. “I fell into a very awkward position. My back was against the wall and I was right next to… the water fountains.”

“I had been in this strange position for so long that I couldn’t feel my legs anymore,” she added.

Parsons-Perez didn’t know what was going on until a man from the search and rescue team came to help him. Although she begged him to move her, he told her that she would have to wait a bit as she was stuck under five feet of rubble.

Fortunately, with the help of inmates from the Graves County Jail, who helped with the rescue, Parsons-Perez was able to make it alive. Due to the terrible situation she found herself in, she was one of the last people to leave the factory.

“I’m telling you, some of these prisoners were going out of their way to get us out,” she said. “But we were able to move the debris under us and we were able to get out.”

Andy Beshear, the governor of Kentucky, told Weekend TODAY that the state’s biggest loss of life could be in the candle factory where Parsons-Perez was trapped. At a press conference on Saturday morning, Beshear estimated that around “40 people” had been rescued from the plant, out of 110 workers who were on duty at the time.

Beshear said the state’s death toll could reach “70 or 100,” adding that at least one city in the state has been “wiped out” by the storms.

The tornado system has affected several other states, including Illinois, Arkansas and Tennessee, and is expected to pass through the country before hitting the east coast later on Saturday.


“I didn’t think I was going to make it”

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.