Helldivers 2 continues its stellar run as a hot new multiplayer game, with the Sony version performing incredibly well on Steam, part of the company’s PC-infused philosophy for live titles.
There’s no official roadmap for Helldivers 2, but Johan Pilestedt, CEO of Arrowhead has been more than a little talkative on social media when it comes to talking about the game’s successes, failures, monetization, and future update plans. Certainly more vocal than almost every other head of studio that I saw.
Since much of this is buried in his responses, there are some interesting things to discover here that I thought were worth showcasing.
- On monetization and concerns about paying for some loot being “pay to win”: “I’m biased but we really tried hard not to make it p2w even though the elements are functionally different. The only item that is p2w is the revolver – which will win you any “cool gun” competition. The only (minor) problem is that it’s not that good… “You have to earn the right to monetize” – I truly believe that. If people want to support this title, they have a choice, but we never force anyone to do so.
- On what he doesn’t like about Helldivers 2 right now: “I don’t like matchmaking. Everything else is great! Well… I actually don’t like that there’s no weapon customization.
- For those disappointed by server problems: “Sorry for ruining your game night. I know how it feels and time is our most precious resource. I really want us to do good and make sure our lovely community can count on us as a studio.
- On the concept of multi-squad raids, 8 or 16 players in a mission: “This actually exists in the “Crazy Ideas But Probably Too Hard to Make” section of future content. It depends on network traffic and assumptions about how the game is built.
- On the idea that helmets might have heat or night vision: “This is actually one of the features that (unfortunately) had to go off the drawing board. Each helmet was supposed to have a visual trait or other advantage (rangefinders, enemy stats, trajectory prediction, flashlight, night vision, etc.)”
- On armor color customization: “It would be cool to have this basic function!” Let me talk about it with the team in the next design roundtable. But no promises! »
- On publishing a real roadmap for future content: ” Ironically. There was a roadmap on our roadmap… But then our roadmap changed to prioritize the matchmaking issue. There will be one, but we don’t want to ruin the flow of the story with it.
And all this is only from the last few days. It’s refreshing to see a CEO like Pilestedt be so open online, sharing ideas and receiving feedback. It’s great to see and gives a glimpse of what could happen in the future. A roadmap for their roadmap, it seems.
Follow me on Twitter, Topics, Youtube, And Instagram.
Collect my science fiction novels on Herokiller series And The Earthborn trilogy.
Gn En tech