Skip to content
Gunman dead after SEPTA Transit officer and 3 others were shot in Frankford section of Philadelphia, police say – CBS Philly

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A SEPTA transit agent and two women were shot and killed by a suspect in the Frankford section of Philadelphia on Wednesday night. It happened near Leiper and Arrott streets around 7 p.m.

Sources tell CBS3 that a third person was also shot in the chaos. The victim, who was shot in the neck, presented to Frankford Hospital.

READ MORE: Philadelphia weather: Steady rain and thunderstorms Thursday expected to cause messy commutes

The 28-year-old SEPTA officer, who is also a member of the SWAT team, is in stable condition at Temple University Hospital. The officer was shot in the abdomen and is expected to be fine.

Officers, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw and Mayor Jim Kenney all went to the hospital to await news of her condition.

SEPTA Transit Police Chief Thomas Nestel said the officer was a three-year veteran of the department. Nestel described him as a “great policeman”.

Philadelphia Transit Police and SEPTA came together to rally around their injured brother and stand together in solidarity.

Those gathered cheered as the officer walked out of surgery and FaceTimed with those assembled.

A SEPTA police spokesperson said the city’s gun violence had rattled the officers, but that would not stop them from doing their job.

“It’s what all of us as police chiefs almost learn to expect, but the heroism, courage and bravery these people show every day is humbling,” said Nestel.

Cheers and applause punctuated what could have been a much different scene.

According to Philadelphia Police Sgt. Eric Gripp, the incident began when officers patrolling the area heard gunshots.

Two civilian women were shot – a 57-year-old and a 42-year-old are both in stable condition. They were both shot in the hip. Police say they don’t know at this time why the shooter shot these two women, setting it all in motion.

Patrol officers then pursued the suspect to an apartment building in the 4700 block of Leiper Street.

Chopper 3 was above the scene as a large police presence swarmed the area. SWAT team sources say it was utter chaos.

Gunman dead after SEPTA Transit officer and 3 others were shot in Frankford section of Philadelphia, police say – CBS Philly

According to police, the suspect fired shots from the second and third floors of the building at the officers. It was then that the SEPTA officer was struck.

Authorities say he was shot while covering for another officer who was being shot.

READ MORE: Upper Darby House fire overnight kills man, displaces 4: officials

Authorities say several Philadelphia police officers returned fire.

According to police, the suspect was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on the second floor of the building. A weapon was recovered.

No one inside the building was injured.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to this brave SEPTA officer who suffered this injury,” Gripp said, “and here we are again another night in our city and just this completely and utterly unacceptable and reckless gun violence almost cost the three innocent lives. lives. We’re so thankful it wasn’t worse than it was.

Neighbors were spooked and described hearing a barrage of bullets rip through their neighborhood during the shooting.

“You just heard pow, pow, pow, like someone had machine guns or grenades or something just back and forth. And then the cops came,” Nola Brady said. noted.

Nola Brady was getting into her truck, about to leave for work on Wednesday night, when a hail of gunfire erupted just steps from Frankford.

“Everyone bends down and there are children telling them to run. Then they shoot the cops again and here come the helicopters. It was just crazy,” Brady said.

A mother said she was feeding her child when the bullets started flying.

“It’s such a shame, it’s out of control when you have babies on the streets. We have families living here. And you just run around shooting people?” said Cali Williams.

A yellow crime scene tape stretched across much of the area as others tried to get home from work. Others were in bed getting up early for work.

“It woke me up from my sleep. I went out to see what was going on and that’s why I came out, the barricaded street,” one man said.

Officials say the El has reopened.

NO MORE NEWS: Authorities are investigating an attempt to lure children in Falls Township, Bucks County

CBS3’s Ross DiMattei, Joe Holden, Siafa Lewis and Matt Petrillo contributed to this report.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.