Categories: USA

Gary mayor disappointed in Biden’s blocking of US Steel acquisition – NBC Chicago

A major deal in the steel industry hit a major hurdle Friday after President Joe Biden blocked Japan’s Nippon Steel from acquiring US Steel for $15 billion, a controversial deal that has been in the works for months.

The move leaves US Steel, founded in 1901 and headquartered in Pittsburgh, United States.

“A strong, domestically owned and operated steel industry represents a critical national security priority and is essential to resilient supply chains,” Biden said in a statement.

While the decision was praised by his fellow Democrats, Gary, Indiana Mayor Eddie Melton expressed disappointment in Biden’s decision.

“We thought the technology that Nippon was bringing to this steel production process was going to help make it better and make it cleaner,” Melton said. “The criticism I received for supporting this deal was worth it. I need to be the primary advocate for this community.”

He said Nippon committed to investing $300 million in the Gary Works steel mill, believing it would enable cleaner steel production in Northwest Indiana on a larger scale.

He also said there was no clear evidence of threats to national security, something Japanese leaders echoed in their statement Friday.

“It is shocking – and deeply troubling – that the U.S. government would reject a pro-competitive transaction that favors U.S. interests and thereby treat an ally like Japan,” a statement from Japan said in part.

Local lawmakers stood by Biden’s decision.

“We need to end this ability of these companies to move American jobs to other places,” said Rep. Delia Ramirez, Illinois’ 3rd District. “Steel companies are so true to who we are, to our DNA, to who we are as Americans. And it’s extremely important that these jobs stay here in the United States.”

Illinois 4th District Representative Jesús “Chuy” García agreed.

“This transaction would have allowed a foreign country, Japan, to take ownership of this essential industry in the United States,” Garcia said.

The deal also faced opposition from United Steelworkers union President David McCall, who said it would harm U.S. national security interests and its steel-producing capacity.

Although Biden will leave the Oval Office in a little more than two weeks, McCall said he has no fear that President-elect Donald Trump will reverse his decision. Trump has yet to comment on the stalled deal.

NBC Chicago

newsnetdaily

Recent Posts

County Monitor has abused his daughters, according to a complaint

A woman named by the Department of Children and Family Services of the County of…

18 seconds ago

The alum of ‘nypd blue’ ‘Kim Delaney gives the husband a birthday present after having pretended to try to hit him with a car

Kim Delaney seems to have corrected things with her husband, James Morgan, after their respective…

3 minutes ago

Buffett has waited for years for a crash like this, but might not buy yet

Warren Buffett says famous to "be greedy when the others are afraid" and "when it…

8 minutes ago

The United States added 228,000 jobs in March while the economy showed strong accumulation in Trump Trade Wars

Washington (AP) - American employers added 228,000 surprising jobs last month, showing that the American…

9 minutes ago

Lamar Jackson triggers a legal battle with Dale Earnhardt Jr. on n ° 8

Last year, it was Lamar Jackson against Troy Aikman in a Copyright quarrels on n…

10 minutes ago

IDF, Shin Bet Kill Kill Kill Du Hamas Gaza Hostages Producer Video – Defense News

The FDI and Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) announced on Friday the elimination of the…

11 minutes ago