Former Proud Boys frontman Enrique Tarrio’s conviction is OVERLOWN 45 minutes before his court appearance and faces a 33-year prison term because the judge is on sick leave
- Tarrio, 39, is expected to be sentenced on Wednesday for seditious conspiracy.
- But his hearing was postponed at the last minute along with his co-conspirators
- The US Marshals Service says Judge Timothy Kelly fell ill and cannot preside
The conviction of former Proud Boys frontman Enrique Tarrio for his leading role in the January 6 The riot was postponed after the judge fell ill.
Tarrio faces up to 33 years in prison and was expected to hear his fate in a highly anticipated hearing at the federal courthouse in Washington on Wednesday morning.
The 39-year-old far-right propagandist was to be sentenced alongside four Proud Boys lieutenants convicted in the same case for their part in orchestrating the 2021 Capitol Riot.
But less than an hour before the hearing began, the US Marshals Service said District Judge Timothy Kelly had fallen ill and was unable to preside over the hearing.
Their case was adjourned to September 5.
The conviction of former Proud Boys frontman Enrique Tarrio for his role in the January 6 riots has reportedly been overturned.
Tarrio, 39, of Miami, was convicted of seditious conspiracy in one of the most serious cases to emerge from the attack on the US Capitol in 2021 (pictured)
Tarrio, of Miami, was convicted of seditious conspiracy in one of the most serious cases to emerge from the attack on the US Capitol in 2021.
He faced a jury trial alongside his accomplices Ethan Nordean, 32, of Auburn, Wash.; Joseph Biggs, 39, of Ormond Beach, Fla.; and Zachary Rehl, 37, of Philadelphia.
In May, jurors found them guilty of conspiring to block the transfer of presidential power in hopes of keeping Republican Donald Trump in the White House after his defeat in the 2020 election.
All four were convicted of seditious conspiracy, a crime rarely committed in the Civil War era and where prosecutors must prove that two or more people conspired to “overthrow” the U.S. government or “destroy it by force.” strength “.
Tarrio was not actually in Washington on January 6 because he had been arrested in a separate case two days earlier – but authorities say the far-right propagandist orchestrated the violence and encouraged people to participate.
He became the the main target of what has become the largest Justice Department investigation in American history.
Tarrio was leading the neo-fascist group – known for its street battles with leftist activists – when Trump infamously told the Proud Boys to “stand back and sit idly by” during his first debate with Joe Biden.
During the month-long trial, prosecutors argued that the Proud Boys saw themselves as foot soldiers fighting for Trump as the Republican spread lies that Democrats robbed him of the election.
The lawyers argued that the members of the group were ready to go to war to keep their favorite leader in power.
Tarrio was convicted in May of conspiring to block the transfer of presidential power in hopes of keeping Republican Donald Trump in the White House after his defeat in the 2020 election.
They unleashed a force on Capitol Hill that was calculated to exert political will on elected officials by force and to overturn the results of a Democratic election,” prosecutors wrote in their filing.
“The right-wing infantry aimed to keep their leader in power. They missed. They are not heroes; they are criminals.
The four defendants and co-defendant Dominic Pezzola, 45, of Rochester, New York, were also convicted of obstructing an official process, conspiring to prevent members of Congress and law enforcement federal laws to perform their duties, civil unrest and destruction. government property.
Pezzola was also convicted of assaulting, resisting or obstructing certain officers, and robbery involving government property.