Skip to content
Fern Hollow Bridge Collapse: 3 Lawyers File Lawsuit Against City


PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — It has been nearly four months since the Fern Hollow Bridge collapsed.

On Monday, three attorneys filed lawsuits against the city of Pittsburgh. Lawyers are asking the city to identify the companies and people responsible for inspecting and maintaining the bridge.

The three lawyers represent different clients who they say are still suffering physically and mentally. They believe the bridge collapse was preventable.

Lawyers Jason Matzus, Pete Giglione and Rich Talarico filed suit against the city on Monday. They believe others, in addition to the city, may have played a role in the Fern Hollow Bridge collapse in January, which caused the collapse of several vehicles and a Port Authority bus .

They’re asking an Allegheny County judge to force the city to turn over information.

“We’re trying to get transparency from the city,” Giglione said. “We want to know what they knew, we want to know who else was involved in the inspection, maintenance and preparation of the bridge, if necessary. And that is the information we are asking a judge to order the city to disclose us.”

“The limited information we currently have suggests at a minimum, since 2011, that this bridge has been classified as poor condition,” said Matzus, who represents Dr. Clinton Runco. “The key question becomes what, if anything, has the city done in the past 10+ years to protect the public?”

Matzus said Runco and his vehicle fell about 100 feet. He had his neck broken and his sternum crushed.

Giglione portrays Daryl Luciani, the Port Authority bus driver. He said Luciani underwent shoulder surgery last week and was unable to return to work.

The city of Pittsburgh said Monday it was not commenting on the pending lawsuits.

Cnn

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.