politics

FBI Director Wray says he was ‘appalled’ by the violent siege at the Capitol

Wray has faced calls for weeks to address the attack, but he remained largely out of view while FBI investigators initiated a sweeping nationwide manhunt to track down and arrest the rioters. Of the more than 300 arrests, alleged offenses range from trespassing and obstructing Congress to conspiracy and assaulting police officers. At least five people, including a Capitol police officer, died as a result of the insurrection.

The effort has also uncovered increasingly dark and well-coordinated plans by Trump-supporting extremist paramilitary groups, including the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers, dozens of whom descended on Washington and participated in the siege.

Wray’s remarks also come as lawmakers are attempting to piece together the security lapses that permitted the violent mob to overtake police and occupy the Capitol until National Guard reinforcements arrived hours later. Officials in charge of Capitol security have indicated that an FBI warning about the “war”-like posture of the groups gathering in Washington on Jan. 6 failed to reach senior levels and was not sufficiently vetted.

Wray said that the FBI’s Norfolk field office prepared a “situational” report of “raw, unverified, uncorroborated” information that had been culled from material posted online. That material was shared quickly with law enforcement partners. Capitol Police and Washington DC Metropolitan police indicated in earlier hearings that they didn’t view the material as particularly urgent because it was unconfirmed.

Wray said the info was communicated in multiple ways, including electronically and verbally, “as quickly as possible.” He said it was disseminated “consistent with our normal process.”



Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button