Skip to content
Family of Zyheim Hartman, the alleged gunman who shot SEPTA officer, 3 others, speak out – CBS Philly

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — We hear from family members of the 18-year-old man who police say shot a SEPTA transit agent and three others this week. Police said he shot officers at Arrott and Leiper streets in Frankford.

Family members gathered to remember the alleged shooter.

READ MORE: How the pandemic-fueled Pokemon hobby led the South Jersey father-son to create a card-collecting app

The suspect’s mother expressed sympathy to the victims as they searched for answers.

“They tell this whole story, but we don’t know what the beginning of it was,” said Karen Harrison, a relative.

Nearly 48 hours after shots were fired from a second story window, relatives of Zyheim Hartman are still trying to figure out how the 18-year-old got into a foot chase that turned into a shootout with officers.

“They didn’t say a word about how it started. We just learned he is fighting back,” Harrison said.

Philadelphia police released an update Friday saying they believe Hartman was involved in a physical altercation that ended when he opened fire, hitting a man as well as two female bystanders.

READ MORE: Phillies honor 2 Pennsylvania State Troopers killed in I-95 crash ahead of season opener

Moments later, in an exchange from an apartment on Leiper Street, authorities said he engaged in a gunfight with police and shot SEPTA officer Ervis Onuzi.

“We can’t minimize it, we can’t sweep it under the rug and act like it never happened. It happened and we can’t undo it and this family and everyone involved, it’s unfortunate,” Harrison said.

In a statement, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said in part, “I hope for the full recovery of these four victims and I am grateful that there were no additional civilian injuries and officers who responded. As with all shootings involving officers, we will ensure that a thorough, complete and objective investigation takes place.

As the investigation continues, authorities now say Hartman was killed by police gunfire, not a self-inflicted gunshot wound, as police first reported.

Keysha Jones-Hartman says she still hasn’t seen it.

“I still haven’t seen my son. He’s been dead for two or three days and we still don’t know,” Jones-Hartman said.

NO MORE NEWS: Jerry Rosado arrested in 32-year-old sexual assault cold case in Wildwood, prosecutors say

All victims involved are in stable condition.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.