It is not known which of his many homes Kaboré is in and it appears that he is still under arrest. Kaboré is allowed to see his family and close friends and use his phone, but he is not allowed to leave his home freely, two members of the ruling junta told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
Last month, the military junta announced its intention to stay in power for three years before holding elections and returning Burkina Faso to civilian and democratic rule. The junta said it was necessary for the army to remain in power during this period in order to protect the country from jihadist violence in which thousands of people were killed and nearly 2 million people displaced.
The 15-nation West African regional bloc known as ECOWAS has expressed concern over the junta’s three-year transition period and demanded that by April 25 military leaders come up with a shorter deadline for the elections or else the regional group will impose economic and financial sanctions, according to an ECOWAS statement in March.
Conflict analysts say the decision to displace Kabore and give him some more freedom could mean the junta is trying to lessen concerns about its control of the country. “It could be a more lenient approach to stem the potential for civil outcry against his takeover,” said Laith Alkhouri, CEO of Intelonyx Intelligence Advisory, which provides intelligence analysis. “It could also mean that secret negotiations are underway to contain Kabore’s support base and bring him to his side,” he said.