England bowler Ollie Robinson has been given an eight-match suspension following an investigation into historic racist and sexist tweets.
However, the Sussex man was allowed to return to cricket immediately, having already been deemed to have served his suspension.
The 27-year-old was dishonored moments after making an impressive England debut in the first test against New Zealand in June, as a number of offensive tweets posted between 2012 and 2014 resurfaced online.
Robinson has apologized and admitted to violating two ECB guidelines regarding a number of offensive tweets posted when he was between 18 and 20 years old.
He was then suspended by the England squad for the second test against New Zealand, pending an investigation, with the bowler also retiring from selection for Sussex and taking a “short break” from the game. sport.
He returned to action towards the end of June when he played for the Sussex Sharks in a T20 Blast match against Gloucestershire.
The suspension drew criticism from Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, who said the ECB had “overstepped” in suspending Robinson and should “reflect” – a view supported by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
However, politicians have themselves been criticized for their verdict, with former England drummer Mark Ramprakash saying the Prime Minister’s intervention was “unwelcome” and Michael Carberry going so far as to say Robinson should “lose his career”.
The results of the investigation were announced on Saturday, with the Cricket Disciplinary Commission granting Robinson an eight-match suspension for “a number of offensive tweets,” five of which are suspended for two years.
However, the panel has already taken into account Robinson’s suspension of three of them, the England squad and two Vitality Blast games, leaving Robinson free to play immediately.
The bowler was also fined £ 3,200.
“I fully accept the CDC’s decision,” Robinson said. “As I said before, I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed of the tweets I posted many years ago and I wholeheartedly apologize for their content.
“I am deeply sorry for the harm I have caused to everyone who read these tweets and in particular to those to whom the messages have offended. It has been the most difficult period of my professional career for myself and my family.
“While I want to move forward, I want to use my experience to help others in the future by working with PCA. [player’s body the Professional Cricketers’ Association]. “
According to a statement, the panel considered significant mitigation measures, including the time since the tweets were posted and a number of personal references, and found Robinson to be “a very different person than the one who sent the tweets. “.
The CDC “also took into account his remorse, his confession and his cooperation as well as the enormous impact that the revelation of these tweets and its consequences had on him and his family.”
It was also recommended that Robinson participate in “all training programs both on the use of social media and on anti-discrimination, as directed by the Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA) over the next two years. years ”.