The England and Wales Cricket Council is investigating allegations that a second England player posted ‘offensive historical material’ on Twitter, following the suspension of Ollie Robinson for past racist and sexist tweets .
Wisden.com dug up a tweet, posting its content – which included a racist term – but withheld the identity of the alleged English cricketer because he was under 16 at the time.
The ECB said in a statement: “It has come to our attention that an English player has posted historical offensive material on his social media account.
“We are reviewing it and will make another comment in due course. “
Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Monday endorsed Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden’s assessment that Robinson’s suspension from all international cricket was “exaggerated”.
Robinson, 27, has apologized for the social media posts he wrote in 2012 and 2013, while in his late teens, which were revealed and shared online the day he took his test against New Zealand at Lord’s last week.
He was suspended pending an ECB disciplinary investigation, which drew a surprising reprimand from Secretary of State Dowden, who looked into the case on Monday.
While Dowden acknowledged that Robinson’s tweets were “offensive and false”, he added that they “are also ten years old and are written by a teenager.”
Mr Dowden said: “The teenager is now a man and has rightly apologized. The ECB has crossed the line in suspending him and should think again.”
A spokesperson for the Prime Minister later said: “As Oliver Dowden explained, these were comments made over a decade ago, written by a teenage person and for which he apologized. Well Named.”
The ECB declined to comment when asked about Dowden’s remarks.
While Robinson said he was “embarrassed” and “ashamed” of his past tweets, he was pulled from the second and final test against New Zealand at Edgbaston, which begins on Thursday.
Robinson may have had an impact on the pitch last week, taking seven wickets and contributing 42 important points with the bat, but he was given no assurances about his future in England after the investigation ended.
Fans believe Paul was ‘knocked out’ and restrained by Mayweather in the highlights of the fight
Paul wore a ‘Million Dollar Pokémon Card’ as Mayweather dons an OnlyFans leather hat for the ring walk
“The investigation will take place and all decisions will be made after that,” said England head coach Chris Silverwood, speaking after the first test against the Black Caps.
“Let’s see what comes out of it first. There will be an investigation and we’ll see after.
“What should have been one of the best days of Ollie’s career didn’t end well for him. It was disappointing for the group. It was a stark reminder to all of us of the responsibilities we take on in the position we hold.
“There is absolutely no room in this game for any form of discrimination. He showed a lot of remorse, he apologized publicly, he apologized to the locker room. I think it was. a very big learning curve for him.
“The most important thing for all of us is education. We all strive to be better, none of us are perfect and we all need to make sure that we are learning all the time. We can make the world a better place.
Robinson was told of the reappearance of his historic tweets when he walked off the pitch at the end of the game on Wednesday by Silverwood, who admitted England had to temporarily park the issue to focus on the rest of the test.
“He was obviously devastated, embarrassed and remorseful,” Silverwood said. “He was very quick to understand what had happened. He had to face this.
“That’s not what we wanted, that’s for sure. Likewise, we had to continue the test match. That doesn’t mean we rejected it at all. We will seek education around this in order to try to improve ourselves. “
Craig Overton may be Robinson’s replacement at Birmingham, but the scrutiny could fall on the crimper, who was suspended for two matches after allegedly telling then-Sussex player Ashar Zaidi to “get back into the game. his own country “in 2015.
Overton has always denied making the comment and did so again in an interview with wisden.com last week, but England have recently stepped up their attempts to tackle discrimination in all its forms in cricket.