Patricio Pitbull is officially a free agent.
Shortly after the longtime Bellator star launched a public tirade against the PFL, which acquired Bellator in 2023, PFL President Donn Davis announced Tuesday via Twitter that Pitbull had been granted his release.
See Davis’ statement below.
“We are releasing (Pitbull),” Davis wrote. “(PFL) is all about opportunity. I founded this company to create new opportunities for top fighters. The PFL has done and will continue to do this for all the top fighters who want to be here.
Pitbull, currently in his third reign as Bellator featherweight champion, had been campaigning for months to be released from his contract amid complaints of inactivity. On Tuesday, the 37-year-old veteran called out Davis and the PFL for allegedly cutting fighter salaries and making it harder for fighters to leave in free agency. He also lamented the end of the Bellator brand, which is not part of the PFL’s plans outside of a few title fights.
In his call to be released, Pitbull also tagged PFL heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou, suggesting they work together to form a fighters union.
Pitbull’s efforts appear to have paid off as he is now a free agent, according to Davis. He leaves the organization with a 24-6 record under the Bellator banner, which includes three title reigns as featherweight champion and a lightweight title win in 2019.
UPDATE: Following Davis’ announcement, Pitbull took to social media where he claimed his release actually came with conditions, with the PFL retaining corresponding rights to any offers he might receive in free agency.
“While I appreciate an early termination of my agreement and a waiver of the exclusive negotiation period, you still retain corresponding rights, so I am not truly free,” Pitbull wrote. “If you’re so kind to let me go, why not make it an unconditional release?” »
PFL has not responded to Pitbull’s claims regarding his contract situation.
UPDATE: As of Tuesday evening, Pitbull says his release is now unconditional, according to a conversation with Loren Mack, PFL’s senior vice president of corporate communications. However, he still expects Davis and PFL CEO Peter Murray to publicly clarify the situation.
Our writers and publishers independently determine what we cover and recommend. When you buy via…
Chris Dobey beat Luke Littler 6-2 at night 9 of the Premier League dartsLittleler missed…
The patriots will start their off -season program next week and it will give the…
By María Virza and Fabiola SánchezMexico (AP) - Mexico celebrated Thursday after dodging the last…
Vice-president JD Vance told Fox News on Thursday that he thought that the Trump administration…
The Tabloid television star Deborah Norville announced his departure from "Inside Edition" after refusing an…