Skip to content
Dominic Taddeo: New York mob hitman, set to be released next year, escapes federal custody

Taddeo, 64, was moved in February from a medium-security prison in Sumter County, Florida, to a halfway house near Orlando, according to Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) spokesman Scott Taylor. He was to remain there until his release in February 2023, according to court documents.

On Monday, March 28, Taddeo failed to return from an “authorized date” and was placed on breakout status, Taylor said.

The United States Marshals Service told CNN it was aware of the escape and “has made the investigation of the fugitives a top priority,” according to a spokesperson.

Taddeo was nearing the end of several prison terms for a string of convictions, including possession of illegal weapons, racketeering and conspiracy in connection with the murders and attempted homicides, according to 1992 records from the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle newspaper. .

Taddeo pleaded guilty in January 1992 to the shooting deaths of three people in 1982 and 1983, as well as to having twice tried to shoot a Mafia boss and conspiring to kill another Mafia figure , according to the Democrat and Chronicle records.

Taddeo admitted in court that a criminal organization known as “La Cosa Nostra” that existed in Rochester had paid him to kill certain people, according to news reports. The Cosa Nostra – or the Mafia – has been operating in New York since around the 1920s, according to the FBI.

In April 1992, the late U.S. District Judge Michael A. Telesca sentenced Taddeo to 24 years in prison, which he was to serve consecutively to the 30 years he was already serving for drug conspiracy, bail, and unlawful possession of weapons, according to the newspaper. archive.

Taddeo filed a request for humanitarian release in December 2020, citing the dangers that the Covid-19 pandemic posed to his health. A judge denied the request and refused to shorten Taddeo’s sentence, citing the “seriousness of his offenses and his extremely long criminal record”.

“Defendant began a life of crime at age 16,” U.S. District Judge Frank Geraci Jr. wrote in his ruling last year. “His prior convictions relate to crimes including assault, conspiracy to distribute controlled substances and, more specifically, conspiracy to racketeer influenced and corrupt organization resulting from his employment and association with the family. organized crime La Cosa Nostra of Rochester.”

“RICO’s charges involve the murder of three people, the attempted murder of two others and the conspiracy to murder a fifth person,” the judge wrote, adding that reducing Taddeo’s sentence would “decrease” the seriousness offences.

Taddeo has previously been on the run, according to the Democrat & Chronicle newspaper. In 1987, facing federal weapons charges, he disappeared while out on bail and was found two years later after a nationwide manhunt, the newspaper reported.

Cnn

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.