Skip to content
Detroit Tigers’ Miguel Cabrera clarifies stance on future, says he’ll return next season as originally planned


Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera set the record straight about his future on Friday, telling the Detroit News that he would indeed be returning for a 21st major league season in 2023.

A day earlier, Cabrera, 39, told reporters that this season could be his last as he continues to struggle with knee issues. It was the first time Cabrera has opened the door to the possibility of him not playing next year after previously saying he plans to fulfill his contract, which is fully guaranteed until the 2023 season.

But Cabrera said on Friday his plan to play next year had not changed.

“I’m not going to retire,” he told the News. “Not until next year when my contract is up. They didn’t understand what I said. No way am I quitting.”

Cabrera joined the 3,000 hits/500 home runs club earlier in the season and was hitting .308 as late as July 8. But he’s struggled since, hitting .131 with three extra hits in his last 21 games entering Friday.

Knee pain, which he says has increased in recent weeks, is partly to blame, but Cabrera believes next year will be different. He will be 40 in April.

“Next year will be much better,” he told the News. “Next year I will be there.”

espn

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.