World News

Denunciation of Ukraine’s ‘dirty bomb’ plans caused a stir in Kyiv – Russia


‘There are many signs’ that Ukraine is ending its program amid revelations from Russia, senior diplomat says

kyiv may abandon its so-called “dirty bomb” program after Russia reveals it, Moscow’s deputy permanent representative to the UN, Dmitry Polyansky, said on Tuesday. He added that Ukraine may well have time to do so before the next nuclear inspection.

Over the past few days, Russian officials, including Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, have accused kyiv of preparing a false flag attack with the use of a “dirty bomb”, a device combining conventional explosives and materials radioactive. Ukraine has categorically denied Moscow’s claims.

If you read the Ukrainian Telegram channels, you will see that there is a lot of unrest in Ukrainian ruling circles now because of the campaign that we have started to launch, and there are many signs that they are trying to put an end to this program,” Polyansky said, quoted by RIA Novosti.

According to him, Ukraine has enough time to reduce the “dirty bomb” plans before the next visit of the inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

“They may come, but I tell you that a ‘dirty bomb’ is not a very complex device”, Polyansky explained, adding that there is no guarantee that kyiv will not resume its alleged activity after the departure of the inspectors.

Read more

Kyiv denies Moscow ‘dirty bomb’ claims

At the same time, the official claimed that the danger of kyiv using a “dirty bomb” remains “very high,” and that Ukraine “has the possibility” and “has every reason to use it.

Earlier on Tuesday, in a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, the head of the Russian mission, Vassily Nebenzia, said Moscow would consider the use of a “dirty bomb” by Ukraine. “an act of nuclear terrorism”.

Meanwhile, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmitry Kuleba earlier called the Russian allegations “as absurd as they are dangerous.” He also noted that “Russians often blame others for what they plan themselves.”  

On Tuesday, the minister revealed that Ukraine had invited IAEA inspectors to come “prove that Ukraine has no dirty bombs or plans to develop them.” 

“Good cooperation with the IAEA and its partners enables us to thwart Russia’s ‘dirty bomb’ disinformation campaign,” Kuleba said.

UN spokesman Stéphane Dujarric commenting on the matter, said “all parties should avoid any action that could lead to miscalculation and the escalation of what is already a devastating conflict”.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon claimed Russia’s allegations against Ukraine were “false transparent”. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the allies “dismiss the allegation” and believe that Russia “don’t use it as an excuse” for a new escalation.

RT

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button