Categories: politicsUSA

Court proceedings against man accused of killing UnitedHealthcare CEO delayed for weeks

NEW YORK– The man accused of fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO outside a New York hotel is unlikely to appear again in Manhattan federal court before mid-February, after prosecutors and lawyers on Monday asked for more time to prepare the case for trial.

The lawyers agreed in a letter to the court that the deadline to file an indictment against Luigi Mangione could be extended from January 18 to February 17.

Mangione, 26, is now the subject of a criminal complaint, a document filed against individuals before an indictment is returned.

Prosecutors said they consulted with the defense and agreed that the deadline extension was necessary “to allow both parties to adequately prepare for pretrial proceedings and the trial itself.”

Mangione’s lawyers and federal prosecutors declined to comment.

The case is unusual because at least one charge carries the possibility of the death penalty, but the decision whether to pursue that punishment must be decided by the Justice Department in Washington, where top officials will be replaced as the President-elect Donald Trump will take office later this month. .

Authorities say Mangione fatally shot Brian Thompson on Dec. 4 while he was on his way to an investor conference in midtown Manhattan.

The killing shocked the business community and galvanized some health insurance critics. Mangione posted frequently online about his back pain problems, although he was never a UnitedHealthcare customer.

The federal charges against Mangione include murder and firearms charges. He made an initial appearance on the charges late last month. He will not be required to plead guilty until an indictment is returned.

Mangione pleaded not guilty in New York state court to several counts of murder, including murder as an act of terrorism. Prosecutors said the two cases would follow parallel tracks, with the state charges to be tried first. His next appearance in state court is scheduled for Feb. 21.

The maximum sentence for the state charges is life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Mangione was arrested Dec. 9 at a McDonald’s in Pennsylvania after a five-day search. He is being held in a Brooklyn federal prison alongside several other high-profile defendants, including Sean “Diddy” Combs and cryptocurrency fraudster Sam Bankman-Fried.

Copyright © 2025 by Associated Press. All rights reserved.

ABC7

Eleon

Recent Posts

Trump prices could hardly reach Meta, Amazon and other advertising companies

Amazon and Meta could be the major losers of the new prices of President Donald…

1 minute ago

Kaitlyn Bristowe made rare comments on ex-fiancé Shawn Booth

Kaitlyn Bristowe grabs a thorny rose. The Bachelor Nation star recently unpacked her past relationship…

2 minutes ago

Chelsea 1-0 Tottenham: Enzo Fernandez goes blues in the first four while the long reviews Var see objectives underlying at both ends

Enzo Maresca returned home with a Cole Palmer cross in the 50th minuteMoises Caicedo and…

4 minutes ago

The prices of bananas, coffee, hygienic paper could increase

A customer is producing products in a weekly grocery store in Austin, Texas, February 12,…

8 minutes ago

The judge says that the American government may have “acted in bad faith” when he weighs contempt rather than the expulsion order

By Lindsay Whitehurst, Michael Kunzelman and Alanna Durkin RicherWashington (AP) - A federal judge said…

9 minutes ago

Updates live from Trump: national security officials have been dismissed at the request of Laura Loomer

President Trump dismissed six officials of the National Security Council after an extraordinary meeting at…

11 minutes ago