The German city of Cologne is considering removing a depiction of its historic Christian cathedral from the city’s logo. Some criticized the proposed change and called on residents to speak out against the city government.
The city’s local government said it would produce a new city logo that would not include Cologne Cathedral, well known for its massive 515ft height and status as one of the largest churches in the style. European Gothic.
According to the government, the logo is changing because the current 20-year-old logo is supposedly too complex, with a so-called brand analysis alleging that it is “dated, dated, cumbersome, [and] unemotional”, diary Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger reports.
While a new logo is officially only a proposal from the city government at present, a spokesperson for the current leftist mayor, Henriette Reker, claimed that the logo change had already been decided and that the government would not change its mind about the rebranding.
Some have criticized the proposed new logo, including former Cologne mayor Fritz Schramma, who has spoken out about the changes.
“I usually don’t interfere in current municipal politics, but now that’s enough for me,” he said.
“We would like to be objective, professional about the (necessary?) modification of the city’s logo. But after this unqualified and inaccurate judgment from an advertising agency, I have to get in touch as a former mayor and co-creator of the previous logo.
Roman Catholic priest Robert Kleine of Cologne Cathedral added: “The new logo and slogan are arbitrary. It was good for us in Cologne to show that we have the cathedral.
While Cologne Cathedral has been a major global landmark since its completion in 1880, the city has in recent years become better known as the site of mass sexual assaults on New Year’s Eve in 2015, at the height of the migrant crisis. .
A year after the attacks, it was revealed that there had been at least 1,300 reported victims of sexual assault, robbery and even rape. Of the attackers, who were mostly migrants from the Middle East and North Africa, very few have been arrested let alone convicted, with officials accused of initially trying to cover up the scandal.
Leaked documents confirm the government. Ordered ‘Cover Up’ of New Year’s Eve rape attacks in Cologne https://t.co/esOIe7bBwn
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) April 6, 2016
Follow Chris Tomlinson on Twitter at @TomlinsonCJ or by e-mail at ctomlinson(at)breitbart.com.