The de-escalation seems to be confirmed in France on the front of urban violence. Emmanuel Macron is due to receive the mayors of some 220 affected municipalities on July 4.
In Ile-de-France, it’s time for the first assessment: the riots caused “at least 20 million euros in damage” for public transport, from burnt buses to broken street furniture, according to a first estimate from Ile -de-France Mobilités, the public transport operator.
The main French employers’ organizations called on the government on Monday to put in place support measures for affected traders and entrepreneurs, in particular a “relief fund” for “those who have lost everything”. The damage is estimated at one billion euros by Medef, the main employers’ organization in the country.
“Not to mention the damage to tourism. The videos of the riots, which circulated around the world, degrade the image of France”, declared its president Geoffroy Roux de Bézieux in the daily Le Parisien. On June 30, the main employers’ union for the hotel and catering industry, the Union of Hotel Trades and Industries, already deplored that hoteliers “suffered a wave of cancellation of their reservations” in the affected areas.
The French president “wishes to begin meticulous and longer-term work to understand in depth the reasons which led to these events”, indicated the presidency. During the night, the Head of State paid tribute in a tweet to the police, gendarmes and firefighters, saying to them “thank you for (their) exceptional mobilization these last nights”.
First trip since the start of the crisis, Emmanuel Macron went in the middle of the evening with his Minister of the Interior Gérald Darmanin to the Bessières barracks, in the 17th arrondissement of the capital, which hosts the staff of the BAC (Brigade anti-crime) at night and departmental intervention companies.
In the process, after midnight, he went to the Paris police headquarters, for further discussions, said the presidency. The government has asked to maintain “a massive presence” on “the ground”, “to reinforce the return to calm and order”, his entourage told AFP.
The night system of the previous days, i.e. a maximum staff of 45,000 police and gendarmes, was thus maintained overnight from Monday to Tuesday, with no major incidents recorded in the evening.
Previously, the day of July 3 was marked by numerous rallies across France in support of the mayor of L’Haÿ-les-Roses Vincent Jeanbrun, the day after the car-ram attack on his home in this city. from the southern suburbs of Paris.
17 arrests in the middle of the night from July 3 to 4
The number of arrests in the Paris region fell on Monday evening, as on previous nights: 17 in the middle of the night against around forty the day before and more than 400 on July 2.
According to figures sent to AFP by the Ministry of Justice, since Friday 3,915 people have been arrested (including 1,244 minors) giving rise to 374 immediate appearances.
These nocturnal riots broke out on June 27, the day of the death of Nahel, a 17-year-old teenager shot at point-blank range by a police motorcyclist, following a refusal to comply in Nanterre. The scene was captured on amateur video.
RT All Fr Trans