Sean “Diddy” Combs won this week when a New York federal judge rejected one of the prosecution against sexual assault against him after the anonymous accuser did not reveal his identity.
Tony Buzbee, one of the lawyers’ lawyers, told Business Insider that even if the trial had been launched, he is not worried about the success of the rest of the prosecution that his business initially brought into the same court in the name of a series of “Jane Doe” and “John Doe”, complainants ranging from sexual abuse.
Before the dismissal of the trial judge, Buzbee had been forced to officially withdraw from this case and more than a dozen other federal affairs which he deposited against Combres in the South District of New York after he became clear that the lawyer based in Texas was not authorized to practice the law before this court.
Buzbee previously told Bi that his company still represented the complainants in federal prosecution against Combs, but that his co-considering manages any official appearance in business.
In the case of the anonymous woman whose trial was rejected this week, the American district judge Lewis Liman wrote in his order according to which on March 6, he rejected the plaintiff’s request to continue the case anonymously and ordered him to put a complaint using his real name by March 20 – or the case would be rejected.
“From today, on March 31, 2025, the plaintiff did not file a complaint on her own name, and she also did not ask for an extension of the deadline to do so,” wrote Liman. “As a result, the case is rejected.”
The applicant’s trial allegedly alleged that Combs had attacked and raped her during a 1995 promotional party for a clip by rapper Biggie Smalls.
Buzbee told Bi on Tuesday that the judge’s decision was “expected”.
“In this particular case, Jane Doe has chosen not to continue. There is a lot of fear among these complainants. So I can’t blame him,” said Buzbee in an email.
“These are difficult cases and they are repeatedly re-tasty for those who pursue them. Each case is on their own merit,” he said. “This woman has chosen not to proceed and to submit to the media circus and the perceived danger she felt. We must respect this.”
Buzbee added: “I do not worry”, when he was asked if he feared that the anonymous proceedings of his other customers against Combs will finally be rejected for similar reasons.
New York federal judges supervising at least two other cases against Combres presented by Buzbee and his team ordered that the anonymous complainants file a modified complaints this month with their real names.
Combs remains locked up in a Brooklyn prison for federal trafficking on sex trafficking. He vehemently denied the accusations, as well as all the allegations of sexual abuse against him.
The rapper’s legal team said in a statement that he expects more prosecution brought by Buzbee and his colleague Antigone Curis to be launched.
“This is now the second case brought by these lawyers against Mr. Combs who was rejected in full. It will not be the last,” said the lawyers for Combs. “For months, we have seen a case after people deposited by people hiding behind anonymity, advanced by lawyers more focused on the headlines of the media than legal merit.”
Combs lawyers said that the others claimed, like the one who was rejected on Monday, “will not stand before a court.”
In addition to the New York federal proceedings that Buzbee brought against Combs, he also filed several prosecution before the New York State Tribunal where he said he is authorized.
businessinsider