New details emerged after superb arrests in Melbourne after two men tried to pass firearms in the MCG.
The boss of the Melbourne Cricket Club admitted that human error was behind a shocking security violation which led to two men who would have brought firearms loaded in the MCG during the Collingwood vs Carlton match on Thursday evening.
The MCC – which manages the favorite field – has revealed while the boss of the AFL fans association asked for answers after the two men were charged.
“Our security screening units have identified elements of concern and a more in -depth investigation was necessary, our initial internal investigation identified a care of the careful and manual screening processes,” the CEO of MCC, Stuart Fox said on Friday morning.
“Consequently, we will increase the extent of the secondary manual security process and customers can undergo slight delays when they attend to come.”
Victoria police said the weapons had been found on each of the men during a excavation around 8:30 p.m. Thursday, while a crowd of 82,058 fans was packing the stadium.
Police arrest two men who would have brought firearms to MCG
The CEO of the AFL, Andrew Dillon, made life prohibitions for the two men accused of allegedly smuggling firearms charged in the MCG Thursday evening
The agents were invited to intervene when the men refused a security request to leave the place on their behavior, the force said.
Now, it may be revealed that a group of four or five men would have created a deliberate distraction at MCG doors to help two of them to sneak with firearms during the confrontation of Carlton-Collingwood.
The group arrived late, around 8 p.m. and seemed determined to avoid in -depth security checks.
Sources have told News Corp that firearms had been brought for personal protection, not to cause damage or stage any type of violent event.
When reported by the Evolv Express system, men quickly offered their bags for inspection, hoping to avoid more invasive body research or the use of a portable metal detector.
The security guard, misleading by distraction and relying on the discretionary power, checked the bags and allowed them to pass without any other screening.
Once inside, their behavior quickly attracted attention.
At 8:30 p.m., just before half-time, the complaints of the surrounding fans prompted security to act.
The CEO of Melbourne Cricket Club, which manages the MCG, admitted that human error was at the origin of the alleged shocking violation (photo, Darcy Moore of Collingwood passing the ball during the match against Carlton)
The police, already on standby, were called and confronted the group. Two of the men resisted and were quickly taken to the ground by officers.
The two transported pistols the size of a palm and would already be on deposit for previous accusations.
The incident has raised serious concerns about the gap between advanced security systems and the human element relied to enforce them.
In response, the AFL and the MCC have promised to tighten the screening processes, with a renewed accent on the checks of error bags and more in -depth in future games.
It occurs after the MCG has undergone security upgrade in 2024 because it introduced artificial intelligence in the screening process.
AFL CEO Andrew Dillon delivered life for the accused men on Friday morning and said the alleged incident was “extremely disappointing”.
“Over the next day, the MCG worked to identify how the two men were able to enter the place, which concluded that the security personnel had not carried out in -depth search for customers after an alert of the entry point screening system,” said Dillon.
“The first thing this morning, I had a conference call with the police MCG and Victoria. There will be additional secondary security measures in place this weekend, and the MCC in collaboration with the Victoria police and the AFL will perform an end-to-end examination of the ground safety measures.
The president of AFL Fans Association, Ron Issko, was shocked by the incident and said that nothing had ever happened before.
Victoria police have discovered the firearms loaded after the men, aged 21 and 27, refused to leave the stadium for bad behavior around 8:30 p.m. Thursday (the MCG is illustrated)
He said fans have been subject to several security measures, including pillars of past detectors and individual security checks.
“I am waiting for the AFL to come back to explain what happened and what they are going to do on this subject. And if they have to make changes this weekend to security, fans will adapt, “said Mr. Issko.
“We will just wait for an explanation. But I’m going to go to football this weekend and I have all the confidence in security and the police in football.
Issko added that any security upgrade must be carried out urgently.
“Ninety-nine percent of fans are great. If we have rat bags, we will get rid of them, “he said.
“Don’t allow them to come to football, and strengthen security if we owe it.
The two men were on deposit at the time.
A man from Broadmeadows, 27, was accused of possession of an unregistered handgun, possession of munitions without license, modifying the serial number of a firearm, having a loaded firearm, having a prohibited article (major offense on the law on the event) and failing to appear on deposit.
A man from Roxburgh Park, 21, was accused of being a forbidden person of having a firearm, of having ammunition without a license and of committing an accidental offense while he was on bail.
Friday, men were placed in pre -trial detention before the Melbourne court of first instance.
The Minister of Victorian Shadow Police and Correctional Services, David Southwick, spoke for many on Friday when he tweeted on X: “ How two men on bail capable of getting weapons in the MCG during an AFL match?