Beef Wholesaler Recalls Ground Chuck Over Possible Food Poisoning

The Food Safety and Inspection Service on Friday announced a recall of 3,436 pounds of ground chuck sold in Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and six other states.

The recall was due to possible contamination with Shiga toxin-producing E. coli O103, which causes food poisoning.

The ground chuck was sold by Elkhorn Valley Packing to distributors, wholesale and retail stores, federal institutions, hotels and restaurants. Other affected states are Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan and New York.

There have been no reported adverse reactions or illnesses related to the consumption of the recalled beef.

The meat was packaged on February 16 and shipped in variable weight corrugated boxes marked “Elkhorn Valley Pride Angus Beef 61226 BEEF CHUCK 2PC BNLS; Packaged 2/16/23. Boxes 51 to 100 of the batch are subject to recall.

The establishment number for beef, inside its U.S. Department of Agriculture inspection mark, is “EST. M-19549. »

The problem was discovered when FSIS discovered the bacteria, called STEC 103 for short, in a sample of ground beef from Elkhorn Valley. Many clinical laboratories, the agency explains, do not test for STEC O103 because it is harder to detect than the related STEC O157 bacteria.

Customers are urged to discard or return the recalled product.

Elkhorn Valley Packing has not yet responded to a request for comment.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button