A 6-month-old baby underwent heart surgery after a court intervened in the infant’s care, according to CNN.
The parents delayed the operation because they did not want “blood contaminated by vaccination”.
Dozens of protesters surrounded the hospital in support of the parents, according to the NZ Herald.
When parents refused to go ahead with open-heart surgery for their 6-month-old baby, fearing leftover COVID-19 vaccine could negatively impact the infant, New Zealand courts stood stepped in and moved the life-saving operation forward, CNN reported.
The baby, whose only identification is Baby W, had a life-threatening congenital heart defect but – despite the urgency – the parents insisted on delaying his operation until they found a donor without the COVID-19 vaccination, added CNN.
“We don’t want any tainted blood from the vaccination. That’s the end of the deal – we’re okay with whatever these doctors want to do,” the child’s father said, according to The Guardian.
With more than 83% of New Zealand’s population vaccinated against COVID-19, the majority of the blood needed for the operation would contain anti-COVID antibodies.
“Almost all blood in New Zealand will contain Covid antibodies, so unless you refuse all blood, I can’t imagine how you’re going to get around that,” said Professor Nikki Turner, medical director for the council. immunization from the University of Auckland. Centre, said, according to the NZ Herald.
“The next thing is that the Covid antibodies on their own will in no way be a problem for the person who receives them, they will just provide the person with additional protection against Covid disease,” Turner added.
With doctors and parents unable to reach an agreement, New Zealand’s health service, Te Whatu Ora, filed an application with the Auckland High Court under the Child Protection Act to end november. They requested temporary guardianship of the child, which allowed the operation to continue, according to The Guardian.
The surgery, which took place on Friday, went “as well as one could hope for,” the parents’ attorney, Sue Gray, told Insider.
“He is still at PICU. His parents have been reunited with him and have been with him 24 hours a day,” she added.
The parents chose to have “a peaceful time with their baby until the operation and to support him throughout the operation”, Gray told the Guardian on Thursday.
Gray said the parents were dismissed as “conspiracy theorists” over their concerns, the NZ Herald reported.
On Friday, dozens of protesters surrounded the hospital in support of parents during the operation, according to CNN affiliate Radio New Zealand. They gathered with signs, one of which read ‘Don’t experiment on our children’ and another which read ‘Baby support’.
“The chance of finding spike proteins in donated blood is very small, and it will be in the picogram range if there is any,” the New Zealand Blood Service website says. “There is no evidence that this poses a risk to recipients,” he added.
The baby will remain in court custody until fully recovered, according to CNN.
“The decision to file an application with the court is always taken taking into account the best interests of the child and following extensive conversations with whānau [extended family]“Te Whatu Ora Acting Director Dr Mike Shepherd told the NZ Herald.
Read the original Insider article