A man armed with a bow and arrows killed several people and injured others near the Norwegian capital of Oslo on Wednesday before being arrested, authorities said.
The Kongsberg city police chief said there had been a “confrontation” between the officers and the assailant, but he did not elaborate. He said there had been several deaths but gave no details.
Norwegian TV channel NRK reported that at least four people had died.
“The man who committed the act has been arrested by the police and there is no active search for other people. According to the information we have, there is a person behind it, ”said police chief Oeying Aas.
Acting Prime Minister Erna Solberg called the attack “macabre” and said it was too early to speculate on the man’s motive.
Police were alerted to the attack around 6:30 p.m. and arrested the suspect about 20 minutes later. The community is 66 kilometers (41 miles) southwest of Oslo.
Police say the suspect walked around town shooting people with arrows. Several people were injured in shops, Aas said.
The man has yet to be interviewed, Aas said.
City officials have called on those affected by the attack and their families to rally for support at a local hotel.
The attack comes more than a decade after right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik detonated a bomb in Oslo’s government quarter and then carried out a massacre at the youth organization’s summer camp of the Left Labor Party on the island of Utoya. The violence of July 22, 2011 left 77 dead and stunned Norway.
Breivik was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum under Norwegian law, but his sentence can be extended as long as he is considered a danger to society.