USAWorld News

Anti-trans activist Posie Parker ends New Zealand tour after chaotic protests at event | New Zealand

The anti-trans activist known as Posie Parker has canceled other events and is believed to have left New Zealand after chaotic protests ended her planned appearance in Auckland.

Kellie-Jay Keen-Minshull, who also goes by Posie Parker, was due to speak in Auckland on Saturday morning. The controversial UK gender activist was greeted by crowds of pro-trans rights counter-protesters, estimated in the thousands, and drastically outnumbering the speaker’s supporters. She left the event before speaking, after being booed, heckled and sprayed with tomato juice.

Keen-Minshull’s appearance in New Zealand had been highly controversial prior to his arrival. An earlier appearance in Australia had been followed and supported by white supremacist groups, who marched through the streets, repeatedly performing the Nazi salute.

A number of LGBTQ+ rights groups had lobbied for New Zealand immigration authorities to deny her entry into the country, on the grounds that she posed a threat to public order. On Friday, New Zealand’s High Court ruled that the decision to allow Keen-Minshull into the country was legal.

Immigration Minister Michael Wood said in a statement on Friday: “Like many New Zealanders, I would rather Kellie-Jay Keen-Minshull never set foot in New Zealand. I find many of her repugnant opinions and I am concerned about how she woos some of the vilest people and groups, including white supremacists.

“I condemn his inflammatory, vile and incorrect worldviews,” Wood said, however, he had consulted Immigration New Zealand and concluded that “the matter does not meet the threshold for ministerial intervention.”

Saturday’s protest and counter-protest were violent and chaotic. Green Party co-leader Marama Davidson, who was demonstrating for trans rights, was hit by a motorbike at a pedestrian crossing. A convoy of motorcyclists had appeared during the demonstration in support of Keen-Minshull.

Davidson needed medical attention after the incident, but was not hospitalized. The party confirmed on Saturday that Davidson reported an incident to police, saying, “It appears a motorcyclist failed to stop at a crosswalk and Marama was thrown to the ground.”

In a statement on Saturday, Let Women Speak NZ – a group affiliated with Keen-Minshull events – said the planned event in Wellington “has been cancelled” on the advice of the Keen-Minshull security team. Local media reported that she had checked in on a flight out of the country from Auckland International Airport.

Keen-Minshull live-streamed his attempt to make a speech and his exit, accompanied by the police. “I have serious fears for this place,” she said as she left. “This country is fucked.”


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button