Skip to content
Alec Baldwin hands over cellphone to authorities in investigation of fatal ‘Rust’ shooting

 |  Latest News Headlines

Alec Baldwin hands over cellphone to authorities in investigation of fatal ‘Rust’ shooting

| Breaking News Updates | abc News


Actor Alec Baldwin handed over his mobile phone to authorities as part of an ongoing investigation into the fatal shot on the set of the film “Rust,” the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office announced Friday. Authorities said Baldwin may have discussed the film’s production on the phone months before the incident.

Officials said they have not yet recovered physical possession of the phone’s data, but are in the process of doing so. Investigators will collect phone information including photos, text messages, private social media messages, contacts, recent call history, GPS data and other files before providing evidence to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office.

According to a search warrant Posted by a New Mexico judge in December, information obtained over the phone that is deemed not relevant to the investigation will be “sealed and then destroyed as soon as possible.”

Baldwin’s attorney, Aaron Dyer, said Friday that his client voluntarily handed over the phone. “But this case is not about his phone, and there is no answer on his phone,” Dyer said. “Alec didn’t do anything wrong.

Alec Baldwin hands over cellphone to authorities in investigation of fatal ‘Rust’ shooting

 |  Latest News Headlines
A distraught Alec Baldwin lingers in the parking lot outside the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office on Camino Justicia after being questioned Oct. 20, 2021, about a shooting when a prop gun misfired earlier in the day at a local movie set.

Jim Weber / The New Mexican


On October 21, cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed and director Joel Souza was injured after Baldwin allegedly discharged a gun on the set of “Rust.” The actor insisted he had no idea there was a live bullet in the gun. In December, he said that although the incident is still under investigation, it is “extremely likely that it was an accident” and that he will not be charged.

“It is clear that he was told that it was a cold weapon and that he was following instructions when this tragic accident occurred,” his lawyer added on Friday. “The real question that needs to be answered is how the live rounds got to the set in the first place.”

Baudouin last year describe Hutchins as her friend and said he remembered having dinner with her and Souza the day he arrived in Santa Fe for filming.

“We were a very, very, you know, well-oiled crew doing a movie together, and then this horrible thing happened,” he said.

According to the December search warrant, authorities also searched Hutchins’ phone, where they found conversations about the production of “Rust” dating back to July 2021. Investigators found photos of receipts from area businesses from Santa Fe starting in September.

No one has been charged in the shooting and an investigation is ongoing.

Sophie Reardon contributed reporting.

Alec Baldwin hands over cellphone to authorities in investigation of fatal ‘Rust’ shooting

| Business Top Stories Local news
cbsnews

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.