A 23-year-old man was taken into police custody on June 23, suspected of having made threats against the faithful of one of the main mosques in Lille, AFP learned from the prosecution and the Minister of l Interior Gerald Darmanin.
A 23-year-old man was taken into police custody on the morning of June 23 after being arrested at his home in Faches-Thumesnil as part of a judicial investigation “open for death threats against a group of people belonging to a religion and apology for terrorism,” Lille prosecutors told AFP.
The video on the basis of which the Al-Imane mosque lodged a complaint was shot in a square between this mosque and a Muslim association, Human Appeal, which had been the target of Islamophobic tags a few months ago, said the secretary general of the mosque, Makhlouf Mameche.
We hear the person filming say while walking “it’s a small mosque, but on Fridays there are people, there is a way to kill a good twenty people”, insisting “I’m going to kill these sons of bitches” . During the first hearings, the suspect “admitted to being the author of the threats against the faithful of the Lille-Sud mosque in a video broadcast on social networks”, specified the Lille prosecutor’s office. The man says “having acted while he was under the influence of alcohol. Investigations are continuing.”
Serious threats targeted a mosque in Lille. On my instruction, the national police have been securing the mosque since yesterday and this, for the necessary time. An arrest took place this morning. Thank you to the police for their responsiveness.
— Gérald DARMANIN (@GDarmanin) June 23, 2022
“Serious threats have targeted a mosque in Lille,” Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin had previously tweeted. “On my instruction, the national police have been securing the mosque since yesterday and this, for the necessary time. An arrest took place this morning,” he said.
The mosque filed a complaint on June 21, “as soon as it became aware of the video”, explained to AFP its director, Rachid Hamoudi.
RT All Fr Trans