Gromova, a Canadian from Montreal, had just been accepted into an English language teaching program in Japan and was visiting the condo for a final hurray with her friend Michelle Pazos. Gromova’s body was found three days ago and has been one of the last to be identified.
Her grieving family rushed from Canada after the collapse and spent weeks in agony waiting in Miami.
“It makes it real and difficult, but on a different level. At least we can move on now,” her sister Anna Gromova told The Associated Press, describing her sister as a bright star that was falling quickly. “We will remember her forever.”
Her parents said she was bright, always active, constantly smiling, and unafraid to take on tough challenges.
“It’s difficult because you knew the loss was preventable and nothing was prevented,” her sister said.
March’s body was found on July 5, police said. Earlier this year, the successful lawyer rented out the furnished penthouse where photos of white bunk beds hanging precariously near the sheared building made national headlines.
March, described as an outgoing person, had lost her parents and sister over the past decade, got divorced and was looking for a new start in Miami, friends said. A friend of hers, Dawn Falco, said she spoke on the phone with March until just two hours before the disaster, CBS Miami reported.
“My heart breaks when I see the office chair she just bought next to the bunk beds,” Falco said last month.
The huge pile of rubble at the site of the tragedy has been largely cleaned up, with the debris being moved to an evidence collection site near the airport where a thorough search will continue “with enormous care and diligence. Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.
She spoke of the difficulties of the research in a statement Wednesday.
“The enormous pressure from the weight of the collapse and the passage of time also makes it more difficult,” she said, noting that workers always carefully raked the rubble for the remaining victims as well as personal belongings and religious artifacts.
According to Miami-Dade County, more than 22 million pounds of rubble has been cleared and moved to an evidence processing location, CBS Miami reported.