FORT WORTH, Texas — Two suspects, including a teenager, have been arrested in connection with a drive-by shooting in Fort Worth last week that left a 17-year-old and a 5-year-old dead, police said Tuesday.
Anthony Ray Bell-Johnson, 21, and a 16-year-old boy have been charged with capital murder. In a statement, police said the two men were arrested and jailed over Labor Day weekend. Police have withheld the identity of the teenager due to his age. It was unclear from prison records whether either suspect had an attorney.
Killed in the Aug. 28 shooting were Rayshard Scott, 5, and his cousin, Jamarrien Monroe, 17. vehicle opened fire on the front yard.
Tijuana West, Jamarrien Monroe’s mother, told the Star-Telegram of Fort Worth that she was upstairs when she heard what sounded like fireworks.
“It happened so fast,” she said. “I was just trying to figure out where my babies were.”
She said she and her sister, Rayshard’s mother, live together in the house with their other children. Jamarrien had an 18-month-old son who was injured in the shooting but is recovering well. The child did not live at home but visited often, West said.
Jamarrien Monroe had just started attending a new high school and Rayshard Scott had just started his first year of school, West said. Jamarrien loved to sing and play basketball, often playing with extended family and neighborhood children and cracking jokes with them, West said. She said she was baffled why someone would open fire on their house.
“My son is not in a gang or a drug dealer…. He was like any other 17-year-old trying to figure it out,” she said.